Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Thanks!

After being delayed a bit, I am leaving for Haiti this Saturday morning. I want to thank everyone for all of their help, donations and support throughout this process of fundraising and preparing to leave. It has been amazing to experience support in ways I couldn't imagine from both old friends, those I've only just met and even strangers. Leaving for Haiti, I know that I have a whole community of people holding me up so thanks to all of you!


And in case you all were curious about my fundraising, with all the help I received not only was able to meet my $10,000 obligation but it was surpassed! With the extra money I plan on creating somewhat of a discretionary account that I can use to support some sort of project of something that I come across once I’m in Haiti. I will be sure to sure what I end up using it for. It’s been amazing from donations from my home church St. Marks, to my moms in Elmhurst, from Chicago to Ottawa and Northbrook all the way out to Nebraska and West Virginia. Thanks again!


So now I find myself with just a few days before leaving at a chaotic time full of change for my family wondering why I’m leaving and going to Haiti of all places. The past few weeks have been a times full of questions, nerves anticipation, excitement and fear. I keep asking why is this the path that God seems to have laid out for me now, at this time and in this place.


Well yesterday I went to see the 6th Harry Potter movie, again, with my mom. At the beginning of the movie Professor Dumbledore takes Harry from his home to this disheveled house that looks a bit scary. Dumbledore looks to Harry and says You must be wondering why I brought you here.” At which Harry replies, “Actually sir, after all these years I just sort of go with it.”


Maybe now after all these years of incredible experiences in places like Sudan and Uganda I should take some advice from Harry and just go with it and trust God.


So hopefully next time you hear from me I’ll be safe in Haiti having met someone at the airport, gotten settled into my new home and enjoying my first few days. Thanks again for all your prayers and support.


Holding Haiti with thankfulness - Mallory

1 comment:

  1. Hi love!!
    Just wanted to wish you God speed on your journey and to tell you that you will be blessed and bless so many by your presence in Haiti. I cannot wait to hear all about it. I have been here in Hong Kong for a month and I am absolutely in love with it.
    Take time to enjoy the journey not just the destination.
    love you girl!!!!
    -M

    ReplyDelete